Musty smells begin to invade your home. You notice black spots that are uneven in distribution on the ceiling. So you find out the culprit——most likely the result of black mold growth! This happens because of the condensation behind the drywall or water leaks joined with the absence of air movement in your home. Black mold releases spores that can cause serious health issues, especially for vulnerable people. To prevent black mold on ceilings and avoid expensive home improvement repairs, check the tips below on how to get rid of black mold on ceiling.
What is Black Mold?
It is widely known as Stachybotrys Chartarum, a specific type of toxic fungus that is mostly found indoors. It releases mold spores that appear as black or dark green and can spread quickly in your home. If your property has excessive moisture, black mold will start to grow and digest whatever nutrients are present in order to survive.
Is Black Mold Dangerous?
Mold can be dangerous for people in confined spaces. The threat comes from mold spores. They are naked to the eye and easy to inhale. Constant exposure to mold could lead to symptoms such as frequent headaches, allergies, respiratory problems, the development of chronic conditions like asthma or rhinitis, and even brain inflammation.
Consider These Tips: How to Get Rid of Black Mold on Ceiling
Black mold on ceiling appears because of moisture, leakage, high humidity, roof damage, poor ventilation, condensation, etc. Once it appears, the mold can spread rapidly inside the home. Thus, as soon as you see black or dark green spots, you should consider getting rid of mold from the ceiling.
Using Bleach on Mold
Bleach is not only a good cleaning agent but also a good disinfectant for your ceiling. This can kill mold spores but on surfaces only. In using bleach, you need to prepare the following: a pair of gloves, chlorine bleach, water, dusting cloths, and a bucket.
- Use your gloves before making a solution of one part bleach and ten parts water in your bucket. Don’t forget to keep all windows open for maximum ventilation.
- Dip the end of your cloth into the solution and squeeze the excess water. Using a ladder, wipe off the ceiling and continue until you have removed the entire shape. Be gentle to make sure that the ceilings are clean and not damaged.
- Just use more cloth and prepare a solution if the water gets too dirty. You can use an old toothbrush especially to clean the bathroom ceiling and hard-to-reach areas.
- If you can’t see any mold on the ceiling, get a dry cloth and press it against the wet area to absorb as much water as possible. Use a fan to quickly dry the affected area. Let the bleach solution stay as the bleach acts as a germicide that prevents mold growth.
Using Vinegar on Mold
One of the natural ways of killing and cleaning mold in your ceilings is using vinegar. Many homeowners choose vinegar over bleach since it is 100% natural and safe. Like bleach, vinegar can also prevent future mold growth. Collect and prepare the following items before you start:
- White Vinegar
- Spray bottle
- Scrubbing brush
- Clean clothes/rags
- Pour white vinegar into a dry spray bottle and apply a sufficient amount to the mold-infected area of the ceiling. Allow it to sit for one hour before moving on to the next step.
- Wipe mold off ceilings with a clean cloth/rag dampened with water. You can also use a stiff bristle brush in getting rid of hardened fungi and stains more effectively.
- Dab or press against cleaned areas with a dry, absorbent cloth to absorb moisture. Use a fan and open the windows for continuous airflow of the ceiling area. This will help the area to dry quickly and let the vinegar smell escape.
- To prevent mold problems from recurring, the corners of the ceiling and other areas should be sprayed with the same vinegar in the bottle once or twice a week.
Mold Remediation and Mold Removal Services
Mold on your ceilings is unsightly, unhealthy, and uncomfortable! It only takes an inch of your ceiling for the mold to form. Before you know it, the entire ceiling of your house has been turned black by fungus!
If you feel anxious about the spread of any type of mold and mildew on your property, consider hiring mold expert specialists. At Superior Restoration, our skilled professionals use advanced methods and tools to help you get rid of mold not only on your ceiling but throughout your home.
We also offer emergency water damage restoration services. Please contact us anytime, Water Damage Murrieta. To better serve you and the surrounding areas, we are available 24/7.