When mold eats organic material such as cotton clothes, it will destroy the material slowly. Continue reading and learn a few tips on how to get mold smell out of clothes.
Mold on clothes can be a source of stress in the home. Mold stains can be tough to take out from clothes so getting rid of them quickly is necessary. Because the longer mold is left on clothes, the more difficult it will be to remove.
Check This Out! How to Get Rid of Mold Smell Out of Clothes
Check the following steps on how to get mold smell out of clothes:
1. Always check your clothes/garment care labels.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions, especially when it comes to washing and drying. Follow the suggested water temperature for the garment and how it should be dried, too.
2. Use a mold stain remover or scrub it off using a toothbrush.
Using the products that will be tackled below, just apply the solution to the mold stain. If the fabric is tough, such as cotton or denim, gently scrub off the mold with a clean toothbrush and the solution of your choice. Be extra cautious not to damage the fabric in the process.
3. Pre-soaking or drying in the sun is necessary.
Depending on the type of fabric, drying in the sun is effective in removing mold stains and helps to kill mold spores in the fabric. However, sunlight has a natural bleaching effect which can fade colors and damage fabrics that are delicate.
Pre-soaking the mold-stained fabric/garment in one of the suggested solutions below for up to an hour can be a solution for delicate garments.
4. Washing your clothes/garments in hot water can kill mold and mildew.
Hot water is effective not only at getting rid of allergens and bacteria but killing mold spores, too. But follow the care label’s instructions for the recommended and safest temperature to wash your clothing. If your clothing or fabric can’t be washed, you can take them to the dry cleaner.
5. Give a final hang-dry of your clothing in the sun.
For the remaining mold stains, you may repeat some of the previous steps. Drying in the sun again will help zap any remaining mold.
Choosing the Right Product to Get Mold Smell Out of Clothes
Now that you know how to get mold smell out of clothes, choose the most appropriate product below for your clothes. Make sure to test it on a concealed part of the fabric or clothes first and check the safety precautions recommended on the product’s label.
- Soap/laundry detergent – In bar, powder, or liquid form, you can directly rub in and rinse out with water. Then dry in the sun.
- Bleach – Chlorine bleach is effective at killing mold, but it will also fade any colored fabric/clothes.
- White Vinegar – Diluted vinegar can be applied directly to the mold stain. You can also pre-soak the clothing in a pail of water mixed with a cup of vinegar. In addition, you can also add 1-2 cups of vinegar to your washing machine per cycle. This can kill any moldy smells and mildew smells not only in clothes but in your home as well.
- Baking soda – You can use it to wash white shirts and effectively deal with mold stains. Mix 1/4 cup baking soda with water to form a paste. Apply the paste to any mold patches. Then scrub it with a toothbrush and rinse with hot water.
- Hydrogen Peroxide – To make a solution, combine 1 part 20% hydrogen peroxide with 4 parts water. This should only be used on organic fabrics such as cotton, linen, etc.
- Borax – Mix a half cup of borax with hot water according to instructions. Then add the solution directly into your washing machine, and wash the clothes as normal.
The solutions suggested above are good for eliminating mold not only in your clothes but in other areas of your home as well such as in your bathroom, basement, etc.
Prevent and Get That Mold Smell Out of Clothes
Avoid mold in the first place. Let’s jump in for some tips.
1. Dry your clothes quickly.
Take your clothes out of your washer right away and dry them in a dryer or outside. Mold is more likely to grow in moist fabric or clothing.
2. Prepare a mold prevention spray.
You can spritz your clothes with vinegar spray, baking soda solution, or any natural mold remover of your choice every 2 weeks. This can prevent the musty smell of any clothing or clothes, thus leaving them smelling fresh.
3. Maintain moisture levels at their minimum.
Mold in clothes can occur frequently especially if the humidity level in your home is 60% or more. Thus, maintaining low levels of moisture is key when it comes to prevention. Using a dehumidifier is an efficient way of controlling the levels of humidity.
4. Maintain good ventilation in your home and closets.
Let fresh air circulate inside your home by opening windows and turning on fans. Close windows on rainy days to keep off humidity.
5. Check HVAC filters.
Screens are usually found in any ventilation, cooling, or heating system. So it is necessary to change the filter every one to three months to prevent mold growth and allergens.
Contact Professionals for Mold Remediation Services
The smell of mold on clothes can easily spread to other unaffected clothing items and eventually spread to your property. Mold spores are airborne and can easily proliferate to different areas and materials in your home.
How to get mold smell out of clothes right away is very important to prevent damage and health issues in the future. Allow Superior Restoration to take care of the job. We offer professional mold remediation services.
Contact our local office, Water Damage Murrieta. We also provide services for water damage and fire damage restoration. We are available 24/7.