Learning to prevent electrical fires is a must!
From 2012-2016, malfunctions or failures in electrical were the second leading cause of home fires in the United States (13% of home structure fires) according to the National Fire Protection Association. In 2017 according to the U.S. Fire Administration, California, Texas and New York preceded and led the nation in the number of fire deaths. In 2020, there were fire incidents reported in Murrieta where electrical equipment is to be blamed.
Electrical fires occur in a home because of a malfunction of any of the electrical distribution equipment; switches, outlets, wiring, cords or plugs, lamps, light bulbs, transformers, or power supplies. But, many electrical fires can be prevented. Keep reading to learn some ways how to prevent electrical fires at home.
Tips to Prevent Electrical Fires at Home
The tips given can help identify a possible fire hazard and help halt an electrical fire either in a home or business:
1. Always check the plugs on electrical appliances
Plugs also tatter and rip like wirings. Busted and broken plugs are not only a shock hazard, but they can also overheat and spark which can lead to an electrical fire. Make sure to check them regularly to prevent electrical fires at home.
2. Check electrical wiring
Wiring can last 10-20 years based on typical conditions. Thus, it is a good idea to check electrical wiring especially if your home’s age is 10 years or more.
3. Inspect and change old wiring
Consider fixing your home’s wiring or replacing power cords totally if you see that they are worn out or ragged to prevent electrical fires.
4. Be aware and watchful of certain appliances
Unplug the device or electrical appliance immediately if something happens like when an appliance trips a circuit or sparks while being used, or blows a fuse. Check if it needs to be repaired or replaced.
5. Avoid overloading your home’s electrical outlets
Check the amount of power you’re placing on an outlet or circuit because some recommend that each outlet or circuit should not exceed a certain number of watts. Overloading an outlet can cause a spark and start an electrical fire.
6. Shun flammable materials
Cleaning materials, rugs, blankets, or other flammable materials should not come into contact with electrical outlets or appliances as they can trigger a fire.
7. Keep electrical devices and outlets away from water
Keep electrical equipment dry and away from water to prevent busted appliances and protect you against electric shock and injury. It’s important to have dry hands, especially when working with electrical appliances. Keeping electrical equipment away from where water is like in aquariums, pots with plants, sinks, showers, and bathtubs decreases the risk of water coming into contact with electricity.
8. Use surge protectors or surge suppressors
They are designed to protect electrical appliances from the dangers of voltage spikes causing the appliance to spark. A surge protector or surge suppressor can prevent these potential dangers of fire.
9. Read and follow appliance instructions
Reading the instructions should be on top of the list for improved electrical safety. Knowing how to operate appliances safely improves the performance of the device and your safety. Stop using any appliances that give you even a slight electrical shock.
Contact Fire Restoration Experts
Superior’s trained and skilled professionals will help you clean up and return your home to its original condition prior to the fire incident. During the whole process, we will be working closely with your insurance company to conduct and plan the restoration.
Contact Superior Restoration of Murrieta today, if an electrical fire has damaged your home. We are on call 24/7.